Total Pageviews

Monday, November 14, 2011

Stereotypicalllll.


So I did something super stereotypical and cliche.
So, I guess this post will be somewhat the same.... apologies.

I'm not sure if any of you read my other blogs, but one is about how Brisbane is my Temporary New York, but I never reaaaallllyyyy meant it (don't tell ;) )... I mean, how could Brisbane City compare to New York? It can't, really.... but I have learnt that it is kiiiiinda amazing.

Sunday night, my gay friends dragged me to a 'gay night' FLUFFY Halloween Party, and a few of my straight male friends came along too. I was so reserved. I mean, I have nothing against gay people what so ever, but could I handle going to an actual gay night event?
The answer is a massive yes! :) And, I would go again.

Never EVER thought I would say this...
Drag shows are awesome. Like, really awesome.

The night was held at The Family nightclub in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. It was an awesome place already, but you should have seen it all 'Halloweened-up'. That night they also opened a roof top bar, which became our haunt for that night.

It was stereotypical movie style. The bar overlooked the city lights and at times your vision was impaired by the clouds of cigarette smoke emerging from the group around us. We were perched on stools at a high table and took pictures, had a few drinks and chilled out. It was at around 1:30am that we decided to leave.

Here's the problem. Trains stop running at 12:30 in Brisbane. And I'm too cheap to pay for the $25 taxi. ;)
So, we decided to waste 3 and a half hours in the city. 

Best. Idea. Ever. 

We started the night...well, morning, roaming the city to find a pool place that my friend insisted was open 24 hours... it wasn't. So we continued wandering. We reached the middle of the city. At that point there is a wide open space. Not a square, just an open space. During the day its generally full of busy city folk, rushing around for work, or shopping. At night time it is a lot different though. 

The square was secluded, but not in a creepy way. There were remnants of the day that had passed being removed by the cleaners on the graveyard shift. But, the awesome thing? There was 50's style waltz music being played over a speaker throughout the night, over the town centre. We mucked around and danced, until the cleaners swarmed the area and we moved on.

We next found ourselves at King George Square. 
My friends and I mounted the kangaroo statues... and I wasn't going to post the photos at first because... well, you know... they're special or something. 
BUT for the sake of travel blogging, I must! ;)




This is where it gets really stereotypical. 
As the night drew on we were running out of things to do, so we stayed in King George Square.

The three of us decided to lie down in the middle of the city and star gaze. 
It was awesome. :)

Later on, we noticed light in the horizon and trekked to the bridge over the Brisbane River and watched the sun rise. :) It was at that point that our lack of sleep caught up on us, and with half an hour to go, we headed to Pancake Manor, and only at that point did we learn that the place is open 24/7 AND they let you sleep there!

Finally, after a breakfast of awesome pancakes, we found our way - delirious and sleepy - to the train station... and I headed home. 

It was an awesome night, and that, along with explorations of South Bank during both day and night, have made me appreciate the city in a whole new light. And I've learnt to love Brisbane. 

A lot. 

Tashhh x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think... :)